Russ is an outstanding teacher and deserves more recognition than any teacher I know and certainly more than A Crystal Apple Award, but the award is very nice! He won by a large margin in the voting. His dedication in the classroom is unparalleled! He goes above and beyond to see that each of his students is treated as a valued human being. He greets his students at the door every day letting them know they are valued and loved. For all students, he lets them feel that they are alive and that someone notices them and appreciates their presence in his classroom.
On Thursday, February 20th, 108 of our honors math students had the opportunity to attend the BYU Engineering and Technology Expo at BYU. Three teachers and seven parent volunteers accompanied them. For the first two hours of the day, half of the students visited the interactive booths and the other half participated in the competitions. Different clubs and organizations in the BYU Engineering departments had set up booths to show students careers and real-world applications associated with Engineering. Many gave students hands-on opportunities to explore aspects of the fields. Competi
Spanish Fork Junior High art teacher David Millman’s painiting of Abraham Lincoln, backed by the American flag and the Declaration of Independence, was recently acquired by the Nebo School District. It hangs in the District Office Building on the lower level, on the west side of the building near the HR offices (see photo).
One of eight paintings he’s completed, all based on patriotic themes, Millman’s work came to the districts attention earlier this year.
- Monday, Feb 24th, Direct Writing Assessment for 8th graders, Noon Construction Fieldtrip
- Tuesday, Feb 25th, Direct Writing Assessment for 8th graders
- Wednesday, Feb 26th, Nebo District Science Fair, 9am Ninth grade students to SFHS for registration, Early out at 11:15 am, 12-3pm Professional Development Meeting
- Thursday, Feb 27th, Direct Writing Assessment for 8th graders
- Friday, Feb 28th,
- Saturday, Mar 1st, 8:30am Nebo Chess Tournament
- Monday, Feb 17th, President’s Day No School
- Tuesday, Feb 18th, 6:30pm Boys Basketball Banquet in Cafeteria
- Wednesday, Feb 19th, 7am Professional Development Meeting, 2:10pm Grade Level Collaboration
- Thursday, Feb 20th, BYU Engineering Expo Field Trip, History Field Trip to State Capital, 9am Principal’s Meeting,
- Friday, Feb 21st, Direct Writing Assessment for 8th graders begins, Spring Pictures, 11:50am Student of the Month lunch
PTA volunteers treated teachers to a great dinner during Thursday’s Parent/Teacher Conference. Four kinds of soup, salad, breadsticks, and donut holes for dessert. The perfect meal for a rainy winter’s night! Do we have soup-er volunteers, or what?
SFJH has the best PTA volunteers! This week PTSA members have been manning the bi-annual book fair in the library. Students, teachers, and parents were able to peruse shelves filled with the newest and most popular YA titles from Scholastic. Students bought books to enjoy for recreational reading. Teachers created wish lists for their classroom libraries. During Parent/Teacher Conference, parents were able to pick up titles their kids wanted. And who served all these patrons? Our loyal SFJH PTA!
Despite wet weather and the lure of the Olympic telecast, many students and parents attended SFJH’s Parent/Teacher conference last night. Every term, parents have the opportunity to meet with their student’s teachers and get a quick update on their progress toward proficiency. Most teachers give parents a copy of their student’s progress report which includes a list of the core skills students are working on that term. Parents can easily see where their students are on the continuum of skill proficiency.
- Monday, Feb 10th,
- Tuesday, Feb 11th, 3pm LPIC
- Wednesday, Feb 12th, 2:10pm Department Collaboration, 6pm Nebo School Board (SFJHS to give school presentation)
- Thursday, Feb 13th, 3-8pm Parent Teacher Conferences, 6pm “Fight the New Drug” parent presentation in Little Theater.
- Friday, Feb 14th, Valentine’s Day, don’t forget the ones you love.